WHAT DEFINES A CLASSIC ALBUM???

Talk About Anything On Your Mind
doogie54

WHAT DEFINES A CLASSIC ALBUM???

Unread post by doogie54 »

A classic album needs good production first and foremost..and the lyrics have to be captivating, i dont wanna hear no nigga keep rhyming "tap, flap, slap, crap"....

the length of an album is really imporatant too, some albums are too fuckin short..whereas some albums are filled with Filler songs..and ultimately drag the album out and make the listener lose interest in even listening too the rest of it..

the guest features and album cover also play a big part in it for me too..

what you niggas think classifies a album to be placed in that "Classic" category..??
DannyBo

Re: WHAT DEFINES A CLASSIC ALBUM???

Unread post by DannyBo »

I agree alot with what you said. Adding a little to that, I think structure of the album plays a role aswell. If you making a mob album, Keep that shit MOB! Ofcourse, you want diversity in the selection of tracks you choose being as everybody doesn't like the same shit. But keep some sort of structure to it. Not 3 mob tracks, 5 for bitches, 4 trap sounding tracks, etc etc. I know i've stated this on MANY occasions but I don't use the term "classic" lightly & if I could name 1 album that i've heard in the last few years I would consider a classic is Joe Blow - You Should Be Paying Me. First reason, I didn't expect NOTHING like that before hearing it (had only heard him on a couple tracks) & second reason, he followed a structure with that album. You could maybe pick 5 tracks you don't like but I bet you can pick 10 you think are ILL as fuck, & 7ish you think were dope! One more thing, in order for an album to be considered a classic, it has to have atleast 1 or 2 of those tracks that give you chills the first couple times listening to it & almost immediately make you hit the replay button over a few times.
Sevenosev541

Unread post by Sevenosev541 »

i think a classic album is based on an album that was super dope growing u,p one that had all tight ass fuck songs and you know all the words to them, also with new instant classic albums its gotta have fantastic production and you cant wait to listen to the rest of the album the first time listening to, it a classic album has an instant feel to it.
seanchasinpaper

Unread post by seanchasinpaper »

A lot of golden era classics have skits that actually work and a cast of co-stars that help the album play like a film, for example: The Chronic, and Doggystyle. Two albums in the hip hop genre that i think are masterpieces on a Scorsese film level. I used to hate lots of guest features, but these two albums are perfect examples of how and why guest features enhance the overall experience.
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
seanchasinpaper

Unread post by seanchasinpaper »

One hundred percent agree with what was said about You Should Be Paying Me. Also a classic must capture the essence of time of when it came out, kind of like when you listen to it over again and can feel where you were and what the times were like. While not flawless i do consider: Tear Gas, Prenuptial Agreement, and Nerds Eye View to be modern bay classics for my reasons stated before, and of course You Should Be Paying Me as well. Furthermore: classics never go stale and sound fresh even decades later.
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
doogie54

Unread post by doogie54 »

some albums that are classics to me:

C-Bo - till my casket drop

Brotha lynch - season of da sickness

Clipse - hell hath no fury

Mac dre - rapper gone bad

The click - game related

Biggie - life after death

Ugk - Ridin dirty

these just a few off the top of my dome
Misterious-G

Unread post by Misterious-G »

Roc Marciano - Reloaded
Dre Dog - Passion
Eazy E - It's On 187um Killa
[youtube][/youtube]
lungsfull

Unread post by lungsfull »

a classic album doesnt have a bunch of shit already leaked online. it stays on without pressing skip.

midnite machine gun rhymes and alibis
speak of the devil
e-40 federal
atmosphere when life gives you lemons
fashawn boy meets world
If something I posted is down message me.

Misterious-G

Unread post by Misterious-G »

lungsfull wrote:a classic album doesnt have a bunch of shit already leaked online. it stays on without pressing skip.

midnite machine gun rhymes and alibis
speak of the devil
e-40 federal
atmosphere when life gives you lemons
fashawn boy meets world
im now listening to fashawn, that cd is dope man. thanks for the hook up.
[youtube][/youtube]
Dankaroma

Unread post by Dankaroma »

Any Tupac album. Besides posthumous only R U Still Down. From 2pacalypse now to Don Killuminati Straight Classics

Being able to not skip filler shit, all tracks are proper and have been presented to you that way for a fuckin' reason