Album list and participation soliciation (attempt #2)

Talk About Anything On Your Mind
D-Noch

Album list and participation soliciation (attempt #2)

Unread post by D-Noch »

To any and all collectors of early bay area rap/mob music, please help me try to make a master list of albums! A significant amount of older shit has seen new life via digital release on Amazon, Spotify, Deezer, iTunes, etc, but there is still plenty that has not, and likely never will, see digital releases. I had a hard drive failure probably 15 years ago, and while I have managed to pick a lot of it back up, I remember a bunch of albums I don’t personally have, and can’t seem to find. I’m positive Chunk has more albums, for example.

I am going to parse the text and read them all into a single SQL database, then compare it to a scene release db (anything appearing there must have had a digital release). I am not familiar with spotify’s API, but I will see if the output would be useful- as I have seen a few albums there, but which have no scene release. My ultimate interest is a list of albums I couldn’t pay money to get a copy of, even if I wanted to (barring randomly bumping into one on ebay). We can talk about the next logical step amongst those deciding to participate, but let’s start by getting a communal list, enumerating what exactly there is, and whom may have access to a copy. If any of this sounds interesting to you, shoot me a message so I can keep track- probs just make a discord server or someshit.

I made a gmail account specifically for this, and started a public/unlcoked google sheet. Just make a new tab with your name (or leave it anonymous), and paste your list. You can msg me a pastebin link, if that is preferable.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Props to any/all that fuck wit me. D

Below are simple instructions (Windows only, sorry- no hablo Macs) to produce a text list of your albums, without the need of an external utility. If you can’t get them cleaned up without much effort, just paste it as is, and I will parse it. I am grateful for anyone that takes the time to contribute, and the information is significantly more important to me than uniform formatting

If your parent directory is not subdivided (for example, by year, ABC, etc)

Go to your parent directory
Hit CTRL+A
Hold SHIFT and RightClick
“Copy as path”
Open a blank text file and paste
On the first line, highlight everything up to the album name
CTRL+C
CTRL+H
CTRL+V
Replace all.

If your parent directory is subdivided

Go to top level directory in explorer
Click your cursor in the Search field to activate it
In the newly displayed Search toolbar, find the drop down menu for TYPE
Click folder, and wait for it to finish listing
Hit CTRL+A
Hold SHIFT and RightClick
“Copy as path”
Open a blank SPREAD SHEET
Paste
[I would CTRL+H and eliminate as much as possible before I…]
Text to columns, by delimiter, on the backslash
lungsfull

Re: Album list and participation soliciation (attempt #2)

Unread post by lungsfull »

I have Chunk - Marked for Death (1992) on my computer

I have 340 GB of music in my computer and another 300 or so on an external HDD it is not organized at all. I just use windows search to find shit. do you want this list?
If something I posted is down message me.

D-Noch

Re: Album list and participation soliciation (attempt #2)

Unread post by D-Noch »

as long as they aren't interspersed with shit that ain't albums- the one of the main benefits of doing it this way is it really doesn't matter how messy someone's folder looks, as long as artist and album are there, it's golden. I can get away with artist OR album, but I will need to get file names. You are the first/only person to get at me across 3 platforms, lol - I will make sure to get you everything you don't have. I just got a new HD and am pushing all my scene releases into one place. I'll get back at you with a copy of that today or tomorrow